Wednesday, October 16, 2024

The second first opinion

I had my first major appointment on Monday, October 14th.  However, before that I had been told that I had Stage 3 cancer.  So, I was a little distraught over that for a few days.  And then someone said "I hope you don't have HER2 negative.  And guess what...I have HER2 negative, so I was even more distraught.  But what I learned was to not listen to anyone except the doctor.  

On Monday, my sister and I went to the University of Arizona Breast Center in Phoenix.  This was my second opinion, however; the appointment was my first with a surgeon.  Hence, why I call it my second first opinion.  Prior to the appointment, I was emailed four pages of history to complete.  And I did my homework and completed it.  When we got to the appointment, they asked me everything on the paperwork I had already filled out and wrote it down.  I was thinking "why not just read the four pages you asked me to fill out".  Having my sister at the appointment was good because she could answer a lot of the questions about dates and ages and types of cancer.  We have the cancer gene!

The doctor came in and was warm and pleasant.  We talked some and then she did an exam.  She said she could feel the lump.  And I go back to my first post about this...I did not do self-exams as I should have.  And if I had, maybe I would have caught it even earlier.  But to be honest, I have lumpy boobies so I would have constantly been thinking I had to go get checked.  

After the exam, she pulled out a clipboard with a blank piece of paper.  I got to thinking, do doctors go through art class as part of their training?  Anyway, she started writing and drawing and explaining.  She would complete a drawing and the explanation then ask if I understood.  Then she would go on to the next item and again do the same.  Then she pulled out her phone and plugged all the numbers and such into an app and bang:

I have Stage 1a!

We caught it early, it is small, and treatable.  My initial plan was to get a Double Mastectomy (with Double D replacements) so I wouldn't have to go through this again.  But after talking with her, probably going with the lumpectomy, radiation, and may be some chemo.  

Both my sister and I really liked her.  Primarily, I have options.

Thursday, October 17th, I have an MRI and a meeting with oncology.  Monday, October 21st, I meet with the surgeon in Durango.  I will be curious what the Durango surgeon has to say.  

Until next time....

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:20 AM

    Glad to hear it’s stage 1a! Regardless, you’re so strong you’re gonna whoop it and bounce back quickly. Warrior mode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. della yurcik7:50 AM

    Thank you for the update- I’m sorry you gotta go through all this - ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:57 AM

    So happy to hear this update Sara!! We are praying for you girl!! Love you, Shooter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:19 AM

    Really good news!! And it sounds like she is great bed side, asking to make sure you understand! I mean. Shitty situation, but I love some good news!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:20 AM

    Second first opinions are so worth ‘em!! Goodest news. Besides Double Ds would throw off your balance. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. McJones8:41 AM

    What a relief!!!! Did you hear my sigh of relief?Thanks for the update! Way back when Lillian and I were talking to my gynecologist when I mentioned that Lillian was interested in being a surgeon. She asked Do you like art? Then she went on to explain how important it is to be able to visualize things and understand proportions. She mentioned the best surgeons she knew were very often painters and/or sculptors or involved in other arts. Sounds like that surgeon you spoke with was one of those! Also just having some docs you can talk with is marvelous!

    Sending calm strength and warm hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:25 AM

    Great news! You know I’m praising God for this good report! Still praying πŸ™πŸ™♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:33 AM

    Just like the Sara I know and love to have humor through all of this! Glad to hear the good news. Hope things continue to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lauren9:43 AM

    So glad to hear it is not stage 3! Hoping for similar news from the Durango surgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:38 AM

    Glad to hear it is stage 1 SaraAnn. Stay strong & kick the fucking cancer to the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephanie11:18 AM

    Think about the back pain double d's would cause in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:50 PM

    Oh Sara!!! Such great news!! Yes, cancer sucks. That said, if you’re going to have it, this is doable. So glad you got a second opinion! Doctor sounds great! Love that she explained all step by step.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, definitely great news. It sounds like you have a great surgeon on your team...also excellent news!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous5:43 PM

    That is great news! So glad you got that second first opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7:20 PM

    God is good. Great news!!!! 🫢🏻

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous8:17 PM

    Nothing better than having a good surgeon to explain, pause, listen and someone you like!! Hope Durango surgeon is equally good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11:24 PM

    Praise God you caught it early! Keep up your good attitude and I will lift you up in prayer through this journey. Take good care of yourself and thanks for sharing your update.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lorriane Garrigue7:05 AM

    I don’t even know your sister and I love her-thankful you have a tribe of people that are close enough to love on you (and brave enough to say…woman are you crazy with double D’s!??). I am so glad first second opinions exist, and great artist doctors. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous12:01 PM

    I want to know - which sister? And, if you make it to Georgia in June, I will have a VERY LARGE bottle of Vodka - and Iced Tea! And fun plans...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous7:22 PM

    So glad it's better news than you first thought. Hugs to you and good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your words here!