Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Tragedy of Life

The time was approximately 930pm on Tuesday. I was laying in the hotel room watching some lame TV when my cell phone rang. I picked it up, flipped it open, and noticed the name. Surprised to see that the individual was calling this late as I am forbidden to call after 830pm to them, I answered the phone. I could tell immediately something was wrong by her voice. She proceeded to tell me that her brother had been killed in a car accident that day. I remember clearly saying "OH MY GOD". I probably said it several times really.

And you know, I have no idea why I said it because I clearly do not believe in a deity one bit. And each time a tragic thing happens in my life such as this, I run further (or farther) away from religion. And so once again I have run.

He is 34 years old. And he will forever be 34 years old. He has a 3 year girl he is leaving behind. And she is certain that daddy is still at work and will be coming home soon.

What do you tell a 3 year old? Definitely not that God has taken her dad because she will run from religion the rest of her life. I know.

But this isn't about me. This is about a family, mostly the parents, that had endured so much pain and tragedy in their life that I find it hard to fathom. And you know, they just keep on moving through the motions of life. That is what I think they are doing...just running through the motions just to be there for their grandchildren and daughter's family. A friend of mine said "the father has been dealt the worst hand in life, how can anyone be dealt a hand like that". And I couldn't answer it. It is so true. He seems to have endured one tragedy after another. And I am not talking about a setback or problem. I am talking about serious tragedy. Just doesn't seem fair. And you hear it all the time--life isn't fair--and we deal with that. But does life have to deal you four ace of spades of tragedy. No, I believe it should be spread amongst the crowd. Not just aimed at one person.

This will be the third time I have come to be with the family in some aspect because of a tragedy. And each time it seems the tragedies get worse. And really all I can do is stand next to them, let them know if they keep waking up life will get better, and give them my support. Because at this time in my life, I can't say I know what or how they are feeling. Honestly, even if you've had a death in your life, I have to say you still cannot know what or how this family is feeling.

Please keep them in your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your words here!