Monday, December 20, 2004

Christmas Time Blahs

I hate Christmas time. I am a major scrooge. Most of all I hate Christmas music. Every place plays it from telephone recorders to stores. It drives me insane. And I don't know why, but I just hate it.

Christmas got different for me I suppose after I learned the truth. But I doubt it. We have 6 siblings. And some of them have children. So once we got of age (18 in my book), we all started drawing names. Then we would just buy for one person. But it got stupid--Hey what do you want? It was nothing about thoughfulness or giving. Then we went to the theme Christmas--PJs one year and sports equipment the next. It got too difficult to make up themes so we gave those up as well. Now we barely do anything for each other. The nieces and nephews under 18 still get something. I went simple this year and they all received gift cards.

My family (sisters and b-i-ls) did start adopting a family every year. Someone that needed more than we did. Hell, we didn't even celebrate Christmas anymore in my book. I believe once they decided instead of just sponsoring a family for Christmas to sponsor the family for the entire year. In my book, this is what Christmas is all about. They still do it every year. Sometimes I participate, sometimes I don't. It really has to do with my job situation. This year things are not going well for me so I didn't participate, but I know they did.

I head to Phoenix on Wednesday for the warmth and Christmas time. We will spend the Eve at one sisters. Sometimes we theme that as well for the dinner. And then Christmas day at my other sister house. Open present, eat butter cookies, eat dinner, and play games and croquet until 4am. Doesn't sound bad does it.

I decided to make my annual calendar this year. I put everyone's birthdays on it and a photo or more. This year because of money, it was only one page. One year, I filled the entire calendar with photos of me. I thought it was a good idea. But I also made a little gift box of lotion, bubble bath, and soap. Good stuff. The boxes came out pretty good I think. But it was the throught of GIVING.

I suppose if I had children I would be may be more into it, but I don't. So I am a scrooge at Christmas. The thing I am going to enjoy the most is hitting the movies on Christmas Day with family. And we aren't even Jewish.

Everyone have a great holiday. I will no matter what because the weather I sure is going to be better than it is right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your words here!